Friday, February 8, 2013

One Week

Day 7 today. It's been a full week of Teacher's Training and what a week.Little recap:
Indeed, the weather did set in late on Sunday and went on and on and on for 3 days. Living on the most south western tip of Africa, and knowing something about wild winter storms blowing in did help me somewhat, but I was ill prepared for so much rain and such cold. Didn't even bring a rain jacket. Never mind, I'm strong and can be resourceful, but the poor old tent took a battering and eventually rain was coming in from all side as well as through the seams along the roof, so we were forced to move to a much smaller space, inside a building. At least it was dry. Our dining tent also took a battering and the outer layer (which if it was a normal tent would be called a fly sheet I think..... but this is India.) I must say there were times that the force of the wind was so strong I did worry that some of the structure of our tent would be blown apart or collapse, but I guess the Indians do know how to build a pretty strong structure from bamboo poles and string (eish). And they did turn off the electricity to the cables which ran underneath us as the water level rose. So we spent 2 days in the yoga hall in the main yoga building and ate our meals downstairs in a long room, sitting on the floor in 4 long lines off plates and bowls made of leaves, (seriously). The Indian kitchen staff gracefully served us, walking up and down the lines and dishing up from buckets with long spoons. I loved it.

We've got outstanding teachers on this course. Gurshabad is full of history and understanding about the path of a yogi. He's very knowledgable and articulate albeit too extreme for my own liking. Gurmukh is a gem of gems. She's an inspired being, her knowledge of the yoga borders on  divine, and she's unbelievably entertaining and creative. The combination of her encouragement, and the power of group energy makes miracles happen on the mat. I feel her molding us in the most loving yet potent way. Her emphasis on 'Service' to the community is truly an incentive to all of us.
Sat Siri, ex ballerina from Australia, (I posted a pic of her on FaceBook) is an impeccable human being and therefore an impeccable teacher. We do sessions on technique and running a class, cueing, holding the space etc etc. I couldn't wish for better instruction. It's all so well done, seamlessly orchestrated, full of warmth and support. In true American style, we have great sound equipment and a sound man, who often seems to disappear when you need him. They even organised our own generator as the electrics in India are somewhat unreliable. So everything is miked up, and there's a roving mike for questions from the floor. We have a group of 22 people from Russia with their own interpreter who seems to be doing a seamless job. There's always a tiny bit of mutter coming from their corner as she's also miked up for them, and when a trainer cracks a joke, the main body of people laugh,and then after a very short delay, come the chuckles from the Russians.

The Technology of this course is becoming clearer as we move along. I can't go into that now, but hopefully will be able to share some insights about what I learning soon.
Meanwhile my own experiences are deepening all the time. I continue to have beautiful visions in my meditation, I'm strong in my yoga, I'm managing to get up at 12 minutes past 3am every day and make it to Sadhana tho I do often catch up on an hour or so of sleep during all the chants. Well, it's a beautiful sleep I promise, and I am there, even if my eyes are looking into other universes. The food is plentiful, varied, yummy enough.Of course it's strictly vegetarian as is the entire region of Rishikesh. In fact I think most of Northern India is vegetarian. It's easy for me. I don't miss eating animals at all.
The weather finally cleared up and today was the first day of sunshine. It help so much. A magic occasion with Gurmukh this evening. We ended her yoga set (and a strong hard set it was too), and then with her in the lead, followed by all 140 of us white clad, barefoot and walking in silence, we traipsed down from our work tent, through the grounds of the Ashram and down to the Ganges River. We gathered on the high steps as the river has swelled enormously from all the rains. Rows and rows of yogis, some of us with our feet in the water, doing a chanted meditation for 11 minutes. I didn't have a camera. Just myself and the sublime experience of chanting with such a big group while Mother Ganges played the background music. Gurmukh is astounding. How such a little woman manages to orchestrate such momentuous experiences for us all is just incredible. I'm so moved by it all. I splashed myself with the water afterwards and my feet, almost frozen in the icy waters felt warm immediately after. I can't begin to explain or describe what something like this feels like.
Come to yoga class, and feel little touches of it when I'm home.
Gotta get to sleep now.
Sat Nam
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment